Winterizing Your Home
- Home Owner Tips
- Monday, November 17, 2014
It’s that time again … Winter! Have you thought about winterizing your home?
Here’s a handy list of items that will ensure your home stays warm and cozy and help conserve energy throughout the Winter months.
- Dodge the drafts. Drafts can waste a lot of energy, and can give your thermostat a false reading too. Start simple and adopt that old Great Depression fixture — the draft snake, which you can easily make yourself. Just roll up a towel or find a simple DIY Draft Snake pattern on Pinterest, and place them under drafty doors.
- Turn off exterior faucets. Un-drained water can freeze, which can cause pipes to burst as the ice expands. Start by disconnecting all garden hoses and draining the water that remains in faucets.
- Clear out your gutters & drains. Making sure that water can flow freely through your gutters now will help prevent icicles and ice dams from forming later.
- Reverse your ceiling fans. Have your ceiling fans move in a clockwise direction so they push hot air along the ceiling towards the floor.
- Install storm windows & doors. The simple act of installing storm windows and doors can increase energy efficiency by 45%, by sealing drafts and reducing air flow.
- Clean & stow your mower. When you store your mower for the season, any remaining fuel in the engine is likely to decompose, causing difficulties later when you try to start the engine. Running the engine of its last bit of fuel will keep it in good running condition longer.
- Change your filters. Regularly changing the filters in your central air and heating system can significantly improve its efficiency and longevity, while easing the pressure on your wallet.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. Install a programmable thermostat now and save money by keeping the temperature down when you’re not at home.
- Move furniture off your vents. Keeping vents clear will ensure air circulates properly and warms the area thoroughly.
– Heather Dietrich, Marketing Coordinator
Spread the love